© Copyright 2013 | Smartdraw Architecture Ltd

Site by Smartdraw Architecture

follow us

contact us

architecture,architect,architects,architectural,architecture buildings,building design,architectural buildings,building plans,building architecture,architecture building,design and architecture,design architecture,architecture  construction,architecture houses,architecture of houses,architect design,architectural design,house architecture,architecture house, design,building plans,floor plan,landscape architects,architecture and design,architecture design,architects design,nz architecture,architecture nz,nz architect,architect nz,new zealand architects, architect,architectural ,home design,home architect,architectural designer,architecture plans,Architect, Designer, architectural design, design, building, plans, house plans, waikato, architecture, hamilton, smartdraw, draftsman, beach houses, new zealand, architects in hamilton, designers waikato, Hamilton

Follow Us

Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

There are a number of factors that will affect the fee: The complexity of the project. You would expect to pay less for a basic three-bedroom house than for an innovative, multi-level design. The service being offered, i.e. whether the architect/designer will manage the project right through to completion or just parts of it. Applications for resource consent if required. Extra printing, photography, travel costs, and GST on the total fee. Fees are usually negotiable. However, don’t just look for the cheapest price – the fee should reflect the quality and value of the professional services being offered, and be fair to both parties.

How do you work out your fees?

With a new house the architect or designer is starting with a clean slate and the design and build process can be quite straightforward. But when you are doing alterations, the architect or designer has to take into account the style and materials used in the existing part of the house and try to match them. And when the work actually starts, there are sometimes a few surprises that appear when wall boards are removed.

Why are renovation costs so high?

An engineer is likely to be needed at two stages of a house-building project. If there is concern about the stability or compactness of the earth a geo-technical engineer will be called in to do some testing. If there are problems a special design of the foundations will be required with input from an engineer. Engineers may also provide expertise where there are other structural features out of the norm.

Do I need an engineer?

Getting a resource consent is not usually part of the service provided in the designer’s fee. But it is something they can do for you (for a fee). The need for a resource consent will become apparent at the initial sketch stage. The designer should be familiar with the district plan and know, for example, how close to the boundary you can build, or whether there are any height restrictions. Any less obvious restrictions should be discovered when the plans are being looked at by the council staff when assessing them for building consent.

Do I need Resource Consent?

Simply send us an ENQUIRY or see our LINKS page

Where can I find more information?